Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Twins, part 2

This has been an enjoyable return to the world of cutting, sanding, and glueing styrene. The windows are all setup in the sides. So now it's time to work on the vents in the top of the gables. These aren't particularly difficult, but I do think that you need to follow a process so that you are happy with the result. My apologies to those who find this simplistic.
 The vent in the gable I've tried to match using clapboard siding, as close as I could find compared to the plan. The trick is to cut out all the gable 'vents' from the one piece of clapboard, and glue surrounds in the same order as my fancy diagram. This then means you can hold the vents against a square and use tweezers to manoeuvre the small bits of styrene. If you have a styrene chopper, then use it to ensure the pieces are the same size as each other and the two upright sides.
 Once you've glued 1 and 2 in place let them cure a bit and then on with 3 and 4. Let that dry completely before you trim them up.
 It's hard to see but there is a mark at the top of the louvers, to make sure you don't install them upside down.
 What's the glossy black thing for? I hear you say, well its black perspex that I use for gluing styrene on as it doesn't bond to the styrene when gluing. However it's a bugger to get a photo without the workbench LEDs getting in the shot.
The four vents are close to being the same size, however they won't be, just expect it, I know I do. So that I don't frustrate the life out of myself, just number an opening to a vent. That way you are trying to fit one vent to one hole, not picking up a different one each time and having to reshape a hole that will quickly become too large. You end up with a side with lots of lines and numbers, but isopropol will fix it easy!

I don't know about you, but I've found a little extra time out at the modelling bench of late. It has certainly helped keep me sane. The vents were done over two nights, during the week. A simple part that shows up really well when completed.

A quick update today, there has been some real progress on the modules with the back scene board frames being completed, so a new post shouldn't be too far away.

Enjoy the rest of the week,
modelling time is the key to happiness!
Oorroo!
Geoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment