Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Ballasted deck bridge for HH

Just over the boarder near Tenterfield there are some great examples of ballasted deck bridges. The area has been a favourite of mine for many years now. The Sunnyside bridge, and many other features along the line make it an enjoyable drive. Even after many trips there are still bridges and sidings to explore. The need to do this sooner, rather than later.as some of the bridges have begun to be removed. There are a few that are off the main road, and these ones are the ones I'm chasing. Another time for sure.

The bridge is to be on the left hand module, hopefully with a scene similar to the one caught in these photos. I've still to confirm the placement of the trackwork, and that will effect the placement of the bridge. For now I'm working on the scenery boards for each of the three main modules. This combined with the trackwork, for me, is a little fluid, and I guess that's why I like modelling a made up location, based on a real location. I'm sure the purists out there have issue with this, however as I only model small layouts I need to be more flexible. A home layout is not on the horizon for a while, and that's already planned, with a set location.
During a few of my visits to this location I have many measurements of timber sizes and spacing, but you know, I still think I've missed a few. So when I need a break from the bench work it will be out with the basswood and bolt detail for sure!




This last photo will hopefully be the scene I'm trying to replicate on the layout. There are other photos I have of the distant horizon, however I'm not sure I will be replicating the same in paint. The back scene painting should probably be the next thing I do as a distraction from track work. I'm a firm believer in having a few different projects on the go that you can cycle through.
That should be it from me till I actually have some progress to post, some photographic evidence of some modelling.
enjoy your week, only a few days to go!
Oorroo!
Geoff.

4 comments:

  1. Nice scenes Geoff! The Granite Belt to Tenterfield is a wonderful area, and the relics along the line are full of modelling inspiration. I'm sure your bridge will do the area justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Philip,
    Time will tell. A great spot for research, camping, and sourcing a nice wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoff, Nice bridge. But you might need to upgrade it before you run trains over it. I can also foresee a great water scene on the new layout, that your last layout was famous for. Craig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Craig,
    Water is a feature out that way. It will be a challenge to recreate the scene in miniature for sure!

    ReplyDelete