Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Twins, part 1

There has been many different ways of communicating to each other over the years here in Australia.  Well before the telephone we had the telegraph. Since 1858, in NSW, the telegraph line linked us together, often bringing together post, telegraph, and money order to the one location. At Bulli, that was the case. The standard design for this office was doubled at Bulli, building them back to back, with a what seemed like a shared wall in the centre. I'd love a photo of the interior of this building, but unfortunately I've not been successful in sourcing one.
The building itself is not really very complex. I've sourced some novelty siding that appears the correct spacing, so out with the hobby knife and away we go! It feels like ages since I had a building project to work on, and so far it's been good. The matching of available windows from the Grandt line or Titchy group, to the scaled plan appeared a little difficult. I found two that were a good fit on the Grandt line site, however the postage was enormous, compared to the packs actual price. I continued the search through the stash, and found some that would be a fair enough fit, even though they were a twelve pane window, some careful trimming would see that fixed. 
I've been cutting out enough walls to build a double office for my layout, and an extra one, not sure why, maybe in case I bugger up something on the first, then I'll have some spares.

The photo just illustrates where I got to yesterday, and once I had a little bit of time today, I've completed the second wall cut out.
The side with the double gable and the two single windows in each, is the trackside view of the building. The side with two windowsill each gable is the public side of the building. This side also has window awnings over each, something that will be fun to model because of the gentle curve in them.
The plan I have for the building is interesting as it does not have a front elevation plan. This makes it a bit difficult to replicate the front doors, they were a pair that opened inward, that much I can see from the floor plan. It does not help me with the height of the door, or whether there was any venting above it? So a little Modellers licence here. I will be modelling the doors opened as the interior I have a good plan for, with benches and the like all marked, along with good detail of the fireplace, so we shall see. In my head I have the scene populated with people, and sourcing figures at a reasonable cost/quality is proving challenging.


I'll finish there for now. Enjoy the new week,
stay safe,
Oorroo!
Geoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment