Sunday, January 2, 2022

Having a go at figurine painting

This post isn't just about figure painting. It is for me about doing more in our hobby, striving to do a better job, than last time, and learning new techniques from others or discovering new ones yourself.

For a few of you, you may have seen my other layout Splitters Swamp Creek. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of building, scenicing (is that a word?) and displaying my layout at shows and conventions. There was one thing that irked me, the lack of people, SSC was empty of a population.
So that is something I'd like to change on Hoskins Hollow.

A population isn't just the people it's the loco drivers, guards, passengers, shop keepers, carts, cars, horses, shoppers and just people living their lives. I enjoy modelling a time well before our own, around the 1920's or so, and that has a certain look, as in the dress and uniforms. When you start to look around for figures of this time period you find there aren't too many around. There used to be one done by preisler, for about the 1900's, so if you have one you'd like to part with, please let me know. In the Australian market there are a couple worth mentioning, of course it is worth noting that I am not involved with these businesses. Stephen Johnson/Andian models have their 3D printed scans of people with amazing detail, and also Mechanical Branch models have theirs. I've enjoyed the choice that having more than one supplier gives, and this can be extended if you are willing to purchase from Modelu in the U.K.

I've ordered a few different 3D prints from all three businesses. The UK ones are everyday shopkeepers and shoppers, and a few other assorted ones to go with the predominantly NSWGR ones purchased from the other two. There has been a great article about painting figures in the AJRM, their most recent edition, and I guess it has been a great catalyst for having a go, and moving forward into something new.

There are moments that my grandiose ideas are completely at odds with my actual abilities as a modeller, maybe it's at these times that there is an opportunity to learn and achieve more, maybe. So to illustrate my point, here's a photo of a model that I was looking at, admiring, and hoping to copy.
The reality of how small a HO figurine is, comes at you like a slap in the face with a wet fish, as soon  as you pick up a brush. I reached for the modelling glasses, the over the front of those magnifying visor, and there you go! There is no way the above is going to be possible, but maybe a little bit. The shading and dry brushing may be enough. I have used a pale wash when painting another figure in a scale aircraft I built recently, and it made a huge difference.

I've several colours I've gathered for the face, skin and clothes of my NSWGR employees. I've had a crack at the first one. I painted all the skin area’s first, then the shirt closest to that, then waist coat, pants and shoes.




The zoom  function of the camera quickly up any issues with your painting, and in the above photo you can see that the dry brush is way too heavy, especially on the pants. I have some paint thinner that I will use to reduce the pigment load of the paint and retry the dry brush, but you can see what I’m trying to do. 

This has been fiddly , but enjoyable, well worth having a go at. I’ve plenty more to perfect my technique. It has been a case of fear of something new for me, and for a long time I’d put the figures aside. Now I’m definitely of the opinion that you only see them with your normal vision, so don’t fuss too much when you have your super powerful, see dust on the moon, vision aids on your head.

For the sake of posting something, I will stop here.
Let’s hope and plan for a better 2022. 

Have a great week,
Ooroo!
Geoff.



No comments:

Post a Comment