Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Hoskins Hollow, onto grid paper

So since my last post I've availed myself to a couple of Facebook groups to widen my knowledge base. So far it appears to be working a treat. There have been some discussion around just what I'm trying to model. The how, when, where, and why of a layout are a very real necessity when planning a new 'township'.
 Next I will be developing a 'reason for being' description of the layout, as I've done on my previous layout. It's funny when you think back actually, as I used to put up copies of the 'history' and details of the township up the road from the railway, when showing it to the public, until people really began to believer it actually existed, of course it didn't.
Here's an updated plan of the layout so far. Of course I'm open to discussion on this as well.

Friday, September 1, 2017

Gestation of a layout idea- Hoskins' Hollow

Many years ago now I met a group of people at my local railway club, who were truly inspiring, both as men, and modellers. I learnt a great deal, laughed loud, and I always think of them fondly. In memory of two great blokes, I've included some of their names in the planning of this layout.
For some time I've been tossing around ideas for my On30 layout. Well after some thought I've come up with a basic drawing of a layout, and it's name.
So here I announce the new layout, Hoskins' Hollow.
When will it be finished? Well that depends on when it's started I suppose.
When will it be able to be seen? I'll keep you up to date, with regular posts here. ( regular means at least every three months)
All the details are in my head at the moment, but here's a photo to get you started.

This is obviously a very rough sketch, but it does mark the beginning of a new layout. There is a lot of scenery on it and that really is my focus, a train through a scene. Lots of trees, hillsides, and just a few buildings scattered through.

As far as rollingstock goes, well there's a saddletank porter, a shay, heavily modified Railmotor, and an assortment of wagons. All of the above are yet to be constructed and weathered.
Lots to think about, but I thought that after such a long time it may be worth making a start, even if it's a small step.
Have a great day!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Where to start? Part 1 (of many short posts)

There is always something to do in the our house, and it does seem like there are not enough hours in the day for modelling of any sort really. When there is time I need to balance it between HO and On30, so far the scales are well and truly dipped in the HO side. So to keep things moving there is a need to actually do some planning, after all without a plan I can't move forward, even if there is time to get something done.

What am I trying to achieve? How much room do I have? What is it for? Will it be for display at shows? Where will I have it at home? Will I want to expand it? How big for a module? Is it point to point? Is it going to have a run around? What do I want the scenery to look like? What purpose does the railway need to satisfy?

You know I do need to have a bit of a play with a track plan, and to be honest with you a point to point layout does appeal to me. Once there are a few ideas on paper, and some searching for some track plan books, then I'll be a bit more excited about this. I do need to spend more time on the HO layout up till about the end of August, then it might be time for a break from HO.

So for now I might leave it there. Out with the pencil and paper!

Oorroo! Geoff.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

02-Porter Side tank conversion

 The Posty dropped off a nice surprise today, a Porter side tank conversion kit from Backwoods in the UK. The kit has a great number of options for the model as you'd choose to finish it. It replaces the tank that adds so much weight to the model, however at over 100g the whitemetal in this kit really should fix any weight issues.
 The mouldings in the kit are very clean and nicely detailed. The replacement headlight is ready to go with a hole drilled for the LED already. So, there you steps for now,
Oorroo, Geoff.

Post 01

Here we go, it's finally happened, yep, another blog to keep me away from modelling! Well not quite. I intend to just put a few notes in here to keep me on track, and to keep you informed.

This is a first for the 'Eternal Beginner' as I've never been associated with On30. Many modellers I know delve into several scales, or types of modelling, and I see this as a real way to keep your modelling fresh and interesting.

Mostly I should thank the modellers that I mix with, through their interest and passion, other modelling opportunities do  'pop up' I suppose you could say, thanks to Lefty and Son.

So welcome from me,
Oorroo, Geoff.